Thanks to three passionate and audacious funders, and to the support of watch lovers worldwide, Czapek has been revived with an exceptional collection where craftsmanship and respect to the initial founder go hand in hand. The Polish watchmaker François Czapek, born in Bohemia, was an associate of Antoine Norbert de Patek, a fellow Pole. Both men lived in Switzerland. His prized timepieces were hard to come by and were much coveted by the nobility back then. Napoleon III, Emperor of France, even granted him the title Horloger de la Cour Impériale (Court Watchmaker).
The first collection is named Quai des Bergues, in memory of the spot in Geneva where François Czapek had his workshop. The inspiration comes from the elegant pocket watch with the reference number 3430, dated 1850: the classy elongation of its Roman numerals, the slimness of its forged hands, and, above all, the unusual positioning of its two subdials, one at 4:30, the other at 7:30. The Le Locle-based company Chronode developed the Czapek SXH1, an exclusive mechanical calibre with a 7 day power reserve, finely decorated and aesthetically true to the 1850 original. The case comes in rose or white gold, titanium, or in "XO" steel, a material that is ultra-resistant to corrosion and has never been used in watchmaking before. For the classic models (rose or white god), a set of blued steel or forged fleur-de-lys hands sweep the grand feu enamel dial, which has two typically Czapek subdials: one that marks the small seconds, at 7:30, the other, at 4:30, that marks the power reserve and the calendar days at the same time.
The next Czapek & Cie collection, named Place Vendôme after the famous Paris spot where François Czapek had a boutique and workshop, opens a new chapter of the Czapek story.