PDF-Text

JEAN D EVE

The LE PHARE watch manufactory

Founded in 1888 at Le Locle high in the Neuchâtel mountains, the LE PHARE watch manufactory, which later on gave birth to the JEAN D'EVE watch range, left its mark on the story of Swiss watchmaking. Indeed, from as early as 1889 its watches were rewarded by the most eminent prizes : Gold medal at the National Exhibition of 1896 in Geneva followed that of 1889 at the Great Universal Exhibition in Paris.
In 1897 came the silent regulator, a veritable technological marvel which overcame the problems of humming that beset repeater watches of the day. This brought another gold medal for LE PHARE at the Paris Great Exhibition of 1900. From this background JEAN D'EVE watches see the light of day.

JEAN D'EVE - An out of the ordinary destiny

Wishing to break with the mould of classic watchmaking, JEAN D'EVE launch the SECTORA collection. The revolutionary display of time in an angle of 120° shocks traditionalists but delights informed collectors. The most striking feature is to see the watch hand spring back to its starting point once it has travelled through 120°.

THE GENEROTOR - A step forward

To mark the Centenary of its origins, in 1988 JEAN D'EVE markets the first GENEROTOR movement. This incorporates a quartz movement whose power source is provided by normal wrist movements rather than a battery. The first examples offered a standby power reserve of 10 days, this has now been increased to 270 days thanks to today's technology. The elimination of the battery as power source provides an ecological bonus whilst retaining the benefits of quartz precision. Its impact is like a bombshell in the world of Swiss watchmaking when it is launched in a legendary watch, the SAMARA. Discreetly traded, this watch is greatly sought after by collectors the world over.

JEAN D'EVE today : the passion stays intact

The exceptional story of JEAN D'EVE carries on today in La Chaux-de-Fonds where the company occupies the same historical premises as when it was created.